A few years ago, I threw a New Year’s bash while I was living in the Atlanta area. It was awesome. I cooked a spread that had a couple hundred people talking for months afterward. One of the dishes that I made was by far the favorite. Homemade bacon mac & cheese. There were people lined up to get some, and when it was gone, people used their fingers to literally “eat the bowl clean.”
What was it? Why, it was my take on on a classic. We’ll call it Mikey’s Slow Cooker Mac ‘n Dreams. It’s not something for the faint of heart, and will probably clog it up a bit, but damn it’s worth it.
And Now… To Cook
* I usually make at least a double batch of this, because it disappears so damn fast.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (large mac, not that tiny crap, you want it to hold all that delicious bacon and cheese)
- 1 stick butter
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 can condensed cheddar cheese coup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, slightly overdone (crispy), crumbled
- In a medium sauce pan, boil the macaroni for about 5 mins, drain, set aside.
- In the same sauce pan, on low heat, mix the butter and cheese, stirring until the cheese melts.
- In the slow cooker, combine the melted cheese, eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, whole milk, mustard and pepper.
- When well mixed, add the macaroni and ½ the crumbled bacon. Stir again, and cook on low for 2½ hrs, stirring occasionally.
- When there is 5 mins remaining, stir a final time and top the mac with the remaining bacon crumbles.